Tuesday 21 April 2009

Enjoy

Okay, this is the third play in my good plays come in three theory that I just came up with because I saw three good plays in a row. This one was PHENOMENAL, in my opinion. AND it was about old people. Completely. So we're just throwing a whole wrench (that's a "spanner" now that I'm in London) in my previously mentioned play tastes. I decided to check this one out because Alan Bennett wrote "The History Boys," which is one of my faves, and this turned out to be brilliant.

The play revolves around an old couple in Leeds with two grownup kids who don't live in the house. Their house is now in the projects, and it's about to be torn down so they can move into some new flats. However, before their house is destroyed, they've been sent to be observed by a silent sociologist in an attempt to preserve their traditions and ways of life or whatnot. It then morphs into surreal chaos that is hilarious but also very dark and rather sad. Allison Steadman is phenomenal as a poor old lady who is slowly losing her memory. She is sweet and likable, with a lovable grandma-like naivete complemented by her amazing comic timing and delivery. The actress who plays her friend Nora also does a scene-stealing job when helping out in times of crises.

The set is an intricately dingy house that seems perfect for a pair of old people in which you would just not want to live in. It morphs as the play continues, and is really quite cool.

Dark and sad while simultaneously hilarious, "Enjoy" is my kind of play. It's really one of the best I've seen in London (if you're into that kind of stuff), and I would highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment