Tuesday 21 April 2009

The Pitmen Painters

Okay, so good plays I've decided are coming in threes and this is the second one after The Overcoat. Pitmen Painters was really quite phenomenal I thought. I was a little apprehensive at first, since it's a play about old men, and I'm not always huge on the plays revolving around old people (no offense to old people).

The play centered around a group of miners who decided to take an art appreciation class, and ended up painting and having their paintings recognized and exhibited in pretty high end places.

It was funny, moving, and an altogether great night at the theater. The cast was solid all around, and the simple set and use of art-class slide-projection-ness worked really well. One of the better plays I've seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment