Thursday 14 May 2009

Dancing at Lughnasa

All I knew about Dancing at Lughnasa before going in was that it was a Meryl Streep movie about someone dying of cancer. I was totally wrong about the dying of cancer bit. I think I was mixing it up with another Meryl Streep movie. In any case, this show follows "Complicit" at the Old Vic, which if I had been more on top of my game, would have generated a scathing review as one of the worst things I've seen in London. In any case, it's hard to go wrong with a revival of a basically universally acclaimed play.

I'll be honest, based on the reviews that this show got, I thought it was going to be a bit better. It wasn't bad - it was probably better than the other Brian Friel play I've seen ("Faith Healer") - but it wasn't totally my play. It was basically a slice of life in the difficult life of these sisters in Ireland. The cool thing about is that it's narrated by the son of one of the sisters, and he kind of fast forwards the play to let us know about the future of each of the sisters. The set was pretty cool, still in the round, and the acting was strong all around. The play itself was just a little too "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" for me (I've not seen that, it's just what I imagined it to be), and not quite as moving as I thought it would be. But a solid production nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment